Howard County Gifted and Talented Orchestra Program
The Howard County Gifted and Talented Orchestra Program was created to enhance the orchestral experience of our students. Each orchestra is designed to meet the needs of the student who exceeds the orchestra curriculum at their grade level. In order to be aligned with the purpose of the Gifted and Talented Program the orchestras have been named GT Sinfonia and GT Orchestra.
The Sinfonia performs music one to two grade levels above the curricular standard and the GT Orchestra performs music three or more levels above the curricular standard.
Elementary and Middle GT Sinfonia
The Sinfonia student will demonstrate:
- A high level of technique on their instrument
- A high level of musical understanding
- A high level of music reading skill
- A maturity level that will allow for successful learning in a fast paced environment
- Readiness for a rigorous orchestral experience
The Orchestra student will demonstrate:
- The highest level of technique on their instrument
- The highest level of musical understanding
- The highest level of music reading skill
- Orchestral experience
- Potential for success in a mature and challenging orchestral setting