9/23 - Rehearsals for MSGTO and MSGTS begin tomorrow! Please plan to arrive early so that we may begin rehearsals promptly.
Tuition for the 2018-2019 school year will be $275. Checks should be made out to “HCPSS” and must include the following information on the front of the check:
Please submit your payment by Monday, October 1st.
The Howard County Gifted and Talented Orchestra Program was created to enhance the orchestral experience of our students. Each orchestra is designed to meet the needs of the student who exceeds the orchestra curriculum at their grade level. In order to be aligned with the purpose of the Gifted and Talented Program the orchestras have been named GT Sinfonia and GT Orchestra.
The Sinfonia performs music one to two grade levels above the curricular standard and the GT Orchestra performs music three or more levels above the curricular standard.
Middle School GT Sinfonia/orchestra
The Sinfonia student will demonstrate:
A high level of technique on their instrument
A high level of musical understanding
A high level of music reading skill
A maturity level that will allow for successful learning in a fast paced environment
Readiness for a rigorous orchestral experience
The Orchestra student will demonstrate:
The highest level of technique on their instrument
The highest level of musical understanding
The highest level of music reading skill
Potential for success in a mature and challenging orchestral setting
The Howard County Middle School GT Orchestra will rehearse on MONDAYS, 4 - 6 pm at River Hill HS, 12101 Route 108,
The Howard County Middle School Sinfonia will rehearse on MONDAYS, 4 - 6 pm at Long Reach High School, 6101 Old Dobbin Lane, Columbia 21045
Rehearsals begin promptly at 4pm; therefore you must ARRIVE NO LATER THAN ten minutes before IN ORDER TO BE IN YOUR SEAT READY FOR A DOWN BEAT!
Rehearsals end promptly at 6pm and all parents must pick up their children EXACTLY on time.
Howard County Middle School GT Orchestra
Information and Expectations
1. Attendance at all rehearsals and concerts is mandatory
2. Missing more than one rehearsal per concert for any reason will be cause for review and may result in dismissal from the orchestra.
3. If you must miss a rehearsal due to one of the reasons mentioned below, you must communicate via email that you will be absent and the reason why you will be absent.
a. Absence due to pre-approved activities must be communicated via email two weeks in advance of the absence.
b. Absence due to illness or emergency should be communicated via email before rehearsal begins.
4. All students must arrive by 3:50 so that we may begin rehearsal promptly at 4.
- A student who arrives at 4 pm is late. All students need to be in their chairs and ready to tune at exactly at 4 pm. Students who are late once will be given a verbal warning, a second offence will warrant a call home and a request to the parents to arrange for the transportation to be a timely. Chronic lateness is cause for dismissal.
5. Rehearsals end promptly at 6pm and all parents must pick up their children EXACTLY on time.
6. All students must bring a pencil to every rehearsal and take notes on their music.
7. All students must bring their own music to every rehearsal. Do not rely on your stand partner!
8. All students must prepare their music at home. Rehearsals are not for note learning.
9. Concert dress is black pants or skirt, black shoes and socks, white shirt, and black neck ties for boys.
10. Behavior problems are cause for immediate dismissal.
11. Electronic devices are not allowed to use in rehearsal.
12. Our website address is http://www.msgto.org. Please bookmark this address and check it weekly for rehearsal updates, emergency cancellations and lots of other information.
13. Emergency cancellations: Rehearsals or concert will be cancelled if schools are close or dismiss early for inclement weather or other emergency. If school does not dismiss early but we are experiencing ice or snow, etc. please check the website for updates.